With the advancement of age, we have to face several hurdles. Unhealthy eating is one such hurdle that the seniors have to pass.
With the increase in age, the requirement of calorie decreased and requirement of nutrient increase. Focus on nutrient rich foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, lentils and, others. Here is a list of things you can eat and things you must avoid. You can get in touch with senior elder care services such as Aaji Care or visit this site right here to get more information.
Things You Can Eat:
- Consider Supplements. You may not find all the nutrients in your diet. You can ask your doctor for supplements like calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, and etc.
- Minimize your use of table salt. This will help to reduce blood pressure and risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke and coronary heart attack. The principal benefit of lowering salt intake is a corresponding reduction in high blood pressure.
- Stay hydrated. Water is a very important nutrient. Take small amount of fluids consistently throughout the day to avoid dehydration and drink atleast 8 glasses of water.
- Reduce fatty products. Replace high fat foods containing mostly saturated fat with foods containing mostly polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Swap butter, cream, coconut oil with unsaturated fats from oils, spreads, nut butters and pastes, and avocado.
- Look for important nutrients.
- Lean protein (lean meats, seafood, eggs, beans)
- Fruits and vegetables (think orange, red, green, and purple)
- Whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta)
- Low-fat dairy (milk and its alternatives)
Things You Need To Avoid
- Unpasteurized Milk. During the process of pasteurization, lot of minerals get lost. This made people go for unpasteurized milk. But unpasteurized milk has more bacteria than pasteurized milk, which is harmful for elderly people.
- Multigrain Bread. Multigrain bread is white bread filled with dyes and preservatives to make them look different. It is filled with empty calories and unecessary carbohydrates. Intake of such products is unhealthy.
- Unpasteurized Juice. Drinking fresh juice is very healthy but drinking commercial juice which are promoted as unpasteurized should be avoided.
- Diet Coke. Seniors must stay away from carbonated beverages with artificial sweeteners and dyes. Although diet coke has less sweetening substance, the ingredients found in diet coke can cause disease like depression and cancer which is unhealthy.
- It increases heart rate and anxiety. This could be dangerous for people with heart conditions.
After read this list we hope you have some ideas that you must follow to lead a healthy life.